This is my favorite vegetarian substitute when I make Chicken Parmesan for the family. It’s really quick and easy to make. Most of the ingredients are probably sitting in your pantry and fridge right now. The heartiness of the garbanzo beans really creates a comforting dish for a cold winter’s day. If there are any leftovers, they make a tasty warm sub sandwich with a some sauce, a little cheese sprinkled over top, and some spinach or arugula. Just toast the sandwich in your toaster oven or heat under the broiler.
- 1 can (about 15 ounces) garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup onion, minced
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup marinara or red sauce
- grated Parmesan cheese
2. In a medium bowl, mash the garbanzo beans with a fork or potato masher. Add the remaining ingredients and mix. Scoop about 1/4 cup of the mixture and form into disks about 1/3″ thick. Place on the baking sheet.
4. Bake for another 5-10 minutes or until the sauce is warmed and the cheese melts.
Serve with pasta, spaghetti squash, or zucchini noodles, and any a little extra sauce.