Are you ready for some football? Our house is gearing up for the big game. My husband has been a devoted Broncos fan since his birth. He covers my children in orange and blue on game day and needless to say is looking forward to the Superbowl. I do enjoy football, but I am looking forward to the ads and the food!
This is my personal favorite vegetarian chili. The best part is that it’s really easy to make. Just a few minutes to put it together, let it sit in the crock pot for a couple of hours and you’re done. This recipe makes about 4 cups or 2-3 servings, but can be easily doubled for a larger or hungrier crowd. Most of these ingredients can be kept in your pantry, so it’s a great “go-to” meal, when you need it. It also freezes well, so don’t let any extra go to waste, just save it for a lazy day.
- 4 oz package of mini portabella mushrooms, stems removed, roasted
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 16 ounce can chili beans
- 15 ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 14 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chili seasoning
- pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- salt to taste
1. Preheat oven or toaster oven to 400*. Place the mushrooms, cap side down on a lined sheet and sprinkle with cumin. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove and place, cap side down on a paper towel. This will drain some of the water from the mushrooms, leaving them with a delightful texture. When cool enough to handle, cut the mushrooms into bite size pieces (halving or quartering).
2. In a skillet over medium heat, saute the onions and garlic until translucent. (If I’m in a hurry, I skip this step and just toss them into the pot!)
3. Combine all of the ingredients in a crock pot. Cook on low for about 4 hours. (Alternatively, you can combine the ingredients on the stove top, bring just up to a gentle boil over medium, then reduce to low to simmer for about 45 minutes.
You can top this with all the regulars like cheese, onion and jalapenos, but my favorite is creamy and cool diced avocado.